[CentOS-devel] progress?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 16:15:39 UTC 2011

On 2/19/11 4:42 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:

>> Therefore a VCS at the package level for our projects is worthless
>> (except for the packages that we have to change to remove trademarks).
>>
>> That is what no one is understanding here.

How do you track the work you do, reproduce it across architectures, and
duplicate it to spread the load over multiple machines?

> There is no magic secret sauce or magic VCS here to be kept over time.
> It is brute force build, compare, adjust, build.  It is good only for
> the one iteration for which it is performed.  The next time a new
> package is built, we do it in a virgin way to try and reproduce it
> exactly as the SRPM requires.

That sounds exactly like a situation where having more people involved could
help, given the ability to share the state of current work.

> It is no harder than build it in mock ... check it ... manually modify
> the build root with some commands ... if required (if the package fails
> the compare).
>
> You guys act like we are doing magic here, we are not.

You really aren't doing those changes by retyping the command lines on every
machine involved with no automated way to reproduce it or history of what you've
done, are you?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com