[CentOS-devel] progress?

Steve Meyers steve-centos at spamwiz.com
Sat Feb 19 16:43:01 UTC 2011

On 2/19/11 3:17 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Since our goal is NOT to change upstream packages at all, this would not
> show up in this "SVN" or "GIT" tree of all the packages ... since we do
> not change (or want to change) the package that upstream has produced.
> In any other project besides CentOS, the fix would take 1 minute, it
> would be to add a "Build Requires: perl-XML-Parser" to the spec file in
> the SVN repo and regenerate the SRPM package.

Would it make sense to have a script that preps the build system for
building a certain package, and maintain individual scripts or
configurations for each package?  These configurations would prepare the
build environment itself rather than modifying the SRPM.  It seems like
this would help build for multiple architectures, as well as help with
future package builds.  Ideally, it would probably have you be able to
choose how much of the configuration to follow, so you can try new SRPMS
without the config to see if they've been fixed.

Steve