[CentOS-devel] CentOS-4.9 SRPMS

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Feb 19 16:46:44 UTC 2011

On Saturday, February 19, 2011 11:09:43 am js wrote:
> If yes, when a member find the problem, he can upload the srpm with the
> patch and let you rebuild it on a "genuine" centos.org

I think you missed Johnny's earlier point: the SRPM should not need patching to build, and in fact except for those packages that have to be patched to remove trademarks the CentOS SRPMs aren't patched in order to build; the build system is patched.

In other words, a patched SRPM won't (and shouldn't!) be accepted; a pointer to what is needed to make a package build correctly might be.  The goal is to put vanilla Red Hat SRPMS in and get CentOS binary RPMs out without patching the SRPM in any way, shape, or form (again, except for trademarks/artwork/branding).  I took that as axiomatic until seeing Johnny's post this morning, and then the light came on that some people simply aren't understanding what I 'just knew' all along.

And at this point, I don't think any of the CentOS gurus (there are more than one) need a whole lot of help in the C6 buildsystem (I reserve the right to be wrong should a CentOS core dev say so), and the C5 and C4 buildsystems are in maintenance mode.  For C6 it's a matter of churning through the build and tweaking the build scripts (or order, or buildhost package versions, or whatnot).

Johnny asked for some specific help with the updates for C4u9 (I really don't like the point version notation, since upstream doesn't use that; you can't go to Red Hat and order 'RHEL 4.9' for instance; you order RHEL4, and get update 9's packages through RHN).  There is a case where some grunt work is needed that could genuinely help C4 get its updates faster, but I guess that's not 'glamorous' enough for people....