[CentOS-devel] progress?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sun Feb 20 13:49:03 UTC 2011

On 02/20/2011 07:17 AM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> On 02/20/2011 06:27 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> And casts a magic spell to find those instructions. I'm looking
>> through logs and wiki.centos.org, and having *real* difficulty finding
>> them. In particular, the bootstrapping configurations necessary to
>> build CentOS 6 from scratch on a CentOS 5.x machine seem missing,
>> especially access to the testing SRPM's that have already been patched
>> to work in a non-RHEL environment.
>>
>> Or do you see something I don't?
> I do. :)
> Use for the build root the rhel6b2 binaries available on ftp.redhat.com
> and the configs from the mock package available in EPEL-6.
> There is no magic. Really ( At least for 98% of the work.)

The beta tree is here (binary and source files):

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/beta/

You will also find the fedora 12 binary and source files necessary:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/12/Fedora/

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/12/

We (CentOS Project) need to perform lots of things on files that we
would "Distribute".  (Trademark stripping, etc.).  We will not
distribute our working files to try can get CentOS 6 built, as we have
not and do not intend to perform the actions on them which would allow
us to release them.  That would mean rebuilding and vetting not only
CentOS-6 but all those other trees too.