[CentOS-devel] progress?

Paulo Martinez martinezino at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 20 17:40:39 UTC 2011

Am 20.02.2011 um 18:13 schrieb Dag Wieers:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2011, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
>>> Could I ask a simple question:
>>> When the Centos6 build (for i386 or x86_64) was release / build
>>> at 100%
>>> (or close) ?
>>
>> It might be 2 weeks from now or 2 months from now.  I would like to
>> think it will be closer to 2 weeks, but it will be completed when it
>> gets completed.
>
> Johnny,
>
> So it's absolutely normal a CentOS 5.6 release is 10 weeks late and
> there's no intent to speed up the process to lower the time to do
> future
> releases ?

Dag, with all respect - polarizing doesn't help! RHEL5u6 is released 5
weeks ago (+2).

> If that is the case, we might want to make that more clear on the
> wiki,
> eg. in my CentOS introduction presentation from 2008 we still
> mention that
> releases are (up to) 4 weeks behind RHEL.

The actual process is slowing down caused by the concurrent appearance
of RHEL4u9,
RHEL5u6 and RHEL6. Right, one could argument that the problem lies
here now.

> I don't think most of the users ever expected to be without security
> updates for 10 weeks or more when choosing CentOS, and that is an
> important characteristic.

Centos != RHEL and therefore this implies a time-window between update
availability. Using this immanent fact against the team is
counterproductive.

PM