[CentOS-devel] progress?

Jerry Amundson jamundso at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 03:41:05 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 8:51 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> On 02/20/2011 08:28 PM, Steve Meyers wrote:
>> On 2/20/11 7:21 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>> External rebuilds of packages could never be used by this project, or
>>> any other project.
>>
>> Agreed, but if I successfully rebuilt it on my own, I could submit to
>> the project the details build environment that I used (repos and such).
>>   That would (in theory) help, would it not?
>
> Yes, if that was what happened.
>
> But instead, what happens is someone builds the RPMs ... puts it in
> their blog.  All their buddies download it.  The build requirements are
> broken and it causes bugs.  A month later, we get them logging in to the

[snip]

... and that's why this theme lives and breaths to this day. Note the
word "theme", as the "subject matter" of this *thread* has been
re-visited for years.

The obvious solution to the "someone builds the RPMs ..." support
problem is the documentation that has been requested all along:

Q: [broken, ftbfs, whatever ....]
A; Was your environment and build done *exactly* as described in
http://nice-url-here-with-info-all-centos-rebuilders-need

No? then go see it.
Yes? then let's have a meaningful conversation.

Anything less leaves room for the CentOS "community" to state
amazingly rude things such as "Please don't let the door get scuffed
on your way out." and for the CentOS core to easily play the "Go here
to research How To Contribute" card.

Where there's smoke, there's fire. Threads like this re-occur for a reason.

jerry