[CentOS-devel] progress?

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Mon Feb 21 22:03:07 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 01:04:17PM -0800, . wrote:
> I understand completely that there are different models for the process,
> and I am stating that in my opinion the process rpmforge is using seems
> to be working better (as far as communities are concerned), and doesn't
> sound very hard to make work for CentOS. A model that expects people to
> go through the mailing list archives (even with google helping) doesn't
> make any sense. We need to make contributing to CentOS easy, currently
> it is not easy to find out where to start. Even if you find that most of
> the stuff in the http://wiki.centos.org/QaWiki/6/AuditStatus listed as
> 'confirmed, action required' have had action and there are patches
> posted, yet they remain.

	Why do you and others attempt to compare Dag's work against that
	of the CentOS project?  This is comparing apples to farm tractors
	- the projects are completely different with different
	requirements and different end goals.  This should really be
	clear to *everyone* taking part in this thread and the others;
	if it's not you need to take a step back and think about it for
	a while.

> I couldn't disagree more. You are in a situation where people are
> joining the list eager to help with Centos 6, but are being turned away
> due to it being difficult to find out how to help. I don't care if some
> 1st timer understands the wider goals of the Centos project, if they can
> make a working patch for a package that currently needs work, where is
> the problem? Lets use the resources we have available.

	Go start your own rebuild efforts if you think you can do any
	better.  Go get your group of volunteers together and see just
	how easy it is in practice compared to this pipe dream you and
	others have about how the process chain *should* work.

	Enough is enough already.

							John
--
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit