[CentOS-devel] progress?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 19:08:41 UTC 2011

On 2/22/2011 12:41 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:

> Spins can be done from the binary trees with revisor and other tools; no
> need to recompile from source RPMs unless you just want the education in
> how to do that (nothing wrong with wanting to do it the hard way, as
> long as you're wanting yourself and not someone else to do it, that is!).

I thought that the CentOS project had stated that their branding had to
be removed if anything is changed in the distribution.  Not sure how
that plays out for things like SMEserver and ClearOS.  K12ltsp-EL seems
to have faded away although there is still a working 5.x install and you
can probably work around the conflicts in the update.

> See the Fedora Spins information; the revisor tool is in EPEL for C5;
> it's not yet in EPEL6, but it is in Fedora and shouldn't be too hard to
> rebuild from SRPM. I'm sure if you dug around in the EPEL pages you
> might find out why it's not yet in EPEL6, but that doesn't keep you from
> rebuilding the F12 or even F13 SRPM on EL6 yourself (don't know if the
> version in rawhide will build/work on EL6 or not; why not try it out and
> let us know?).
>
> See: https://fedorahosted.org/revisor/ and
> http://spins.fedoraproject.org/about and
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Spins_Process#Creating_a_Spin
> to see how it's done on Fedora.
>
> While I've not personally tried it with CentOS, it should be possible,
> and even more so with C6 once it is out.

It is included in SL:
http://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/6x/build/sites

--
   Les Mikesell