[CentOS-devel] progress?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Feb 23 12:51:48 UTC 2011

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> On 02/23/2011 04:01 AM, Dag Wieers wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>
>>> I am aware, but it also is very important that we (the CentOS Project)
>>> do not change the SRPMS (or the source tar balls, or any other piece of
>>> source) for any reason except to remove trademarks and copyright info.
>>> It is the whole purpose of the CentOS Project.
>>>
>>> The bottom line is, people can figure out how to recompile the packages
>>> just like we did ... but we don't change the sources.
>>
>> No they can not. The bottom line is, people can try to reverse engineer
>> the process CentOS is using, but they may never be sure it's like what
>> CentOS did. So your statement is incorrect.
>>
>> Hence my joke that the 'C' in CentOS actually means Closed.
>>
>> That said, if CentOS wants it this way they sure have every right to do it
>> like this. But it would be nice to state that upfront.

-snip-

> You have been bellyaching about this for the entire 8 years ... for you
> now to come here and say that we should have told you up front is
> unbelievably disingenuous.  You have been told this dozens of times by
> me alone.
>
> So, am I now also a bald-face liar as well as a totally incompetent
> maintainer?  Haven't been told up front that we don't change sources ...
> Really, Dag ... REALLY?

Johnny, cool down and read what I said. I am not even talking about SRPMS,
you bring that up every single time. I talk about the changes to the
*process* to make packages build and binary compatible.

If it was a simple as rebuilding packages in mock, we wouldn't even be
discussing it here. A bunch of packages don't build cleanly without help,
that's what we've been talking about. (eg. all the stuff Farkas opened
bugzilla entries for)

But for me this is closed now, Karanbir promised to open those bits and I
am sure this will help the community understand and discuss how we can
open the process for a next release.

I wouldn't mind maintaining a list of questions/answers on the wiki,
since I have plenty of those that could shed a light on the process.