[CentOS-devel] progress?

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 13:08:01 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 7:59 AM, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:

>>> Hence my joke that the 'C' in CentOS actually means Closed.
>>
>> I dont agree, if you said 'C' in CentOS is mispelled 'Slower than
>> ideal', I'd agree :)
>
> Of course, it's not completely closed. Looking in a thesaurus, the only
> thing coming close to 'Slow' in there that starts with a C is Constipated
> ;-)

Congealed?

>>> That said, if CentOS wants it this way they sure have every right to do it
>>> like this. But it would be nice to state that upfront.
>>
>> Propose a wording snippet ?
>
> Well, as you promised to open it up after the release, there's no reason
> to debate it now. Maybe some of the content of the presentation
> (pros/cons) should be on the wiki in an About section, it would at least
> change what people expected.
>
> I think the biggest problem is that people expect something else than what
> is implied, delivered and/or promised, maybe because in the past releases
> were quicker, or communication was different, or because one simply
> expects that more is being automated and hence releases are quicker.

For example, I'd appreciate a hint as to which version of mock you're
using. I'd previously suggested upgrading from the CentOS 5 one, but
the latest epel-testing one is giving me problems and spewing errors
when I try to compile *anything*. The epel default one works, but is
relatively slow due to mishandling of bulky and unnecessary files such
as /var/log/lastlog in the cached tarballs.

The one from RPMforge seems to be working well. (Thanks, Dag and your
comrades over at RPMforge!!!!)