[CentOS-devel] php-5.2.x needs adopting

Remi Collet

Fedora at FamilleCollet.com
Thu Feb 17 17:45:48 UTC 2011

Le 17/02/2011 07:29, Karanbir Singh a écrit :
> hi guys,
>
> We've had a php-5.2 in c5-testing which was based on the rhwas sources
> from upstream. Quite a few people have that package in production at
> various places however, this looks mostly unsupported upstream now.
>
> Would someone like to adopt the 5.2 packages, bring them upto 5.2.17 and
> maintain it going forward for c5 ?

Sorry but I think this will be a terrible mistake
(even if I'm going to hurt some people)

AFAIK, CentOS is a RHEL clone.

So, cloning package for RHEL is ok
Cloning package from RHWAS is also ok (in a sub-repository, of course)

RHWAS provides php-5.2.10-1.el5s2 as should CentOS

I think that providing packages which are not RH's upstream introduce a
terrible confusion for final users.

I think this is definitively something for third party repositories.

So, to resume, is CentOS a clone or a fork of RHEL ?

Best regards,
Remi