[CentOS-devel] progress?

Ljubomir Ljubojevic

office at plnet.rs
Fri Feb 18 16:32:13 UTC 2011

js wrote:
>> If you don't like it .. don't use it.
>
> Hello,

> You don't understand, I think, the meaning of my email:
> When someone said "Ok, buy a RH license" to end a discussion and don't
> talk about problems
> is just not a good approch.

What problems? CentOS is/will be only 3-4 weeks behind Oracle
Unbreakable Linux, and 0-2 weeks behind Scientific Linux, in both cases
with PAID developers. So about WHAT problems are you talking about?

> My mail is not (to be clear) against Centos, but against those who use
> the "do it yourself" just to shutdown all
> argument  :)

We understand it EXTREMELY well. First of all, just to be clear, I have
not contributed to the CentOS project in any measurable way. I did
create public repo for CentOS desktop apps and I did create/recompiled
  40-50 packages for CentOS in last few years, but no one ever contacted
me about it, and MAYBE 2-3 developers ever browsed it.

Having that in mind, I claim that if you do not like how this (or any
other open source project) is managed, it's speed of releases or any
other aspect, you have 3 options:
1. Contribute your time and knowledge to that project.
2. Create a fork of the project and contribute your time and knowledge
to that project.
3. After negative response to initial question(s) about things becoming
better use it but do not complain any more.

You can hold someone responsible for not making your life better only in
the degree of how much you (or someone else in your name) paid him. If
he is not paid for it, you have NO MORAL RIGHT to complaint to him
(after initial complaint).

Ljubomir