[CentOS-devel] Ja oder nein: is cygwin-setup process a viable alternative to present day builds?

Stephen John Smoogen

smooge at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 03:01:33 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 16:15, Larry Vaden <vaden at texoma.net> wrote:
> This question keys off IIRC Johnny's remarks earlier in the day about
> how much work it is to build a release.
>
> This question is addressed to those build gurus on this list who have
> forgotten more about the build process than this poster will ever know
> and further have first hand knowledge|experience with cygwin-setup.
> At the end of the day, other than RPM package management, what are the
> substantial differences that would preclude a cygwin-setup-like build
> process from being used to build and maintain the release and would it
> be a lot faster and less labor intensive?

1) Cygwin doesn't install a system. Windows has done all that for you.
[Anaconda and its ilk does that and has to played with to make sure it
works.]
2) Cygwin's package control is much simpler than RPM from my long ago
talking with cygwin developers. Again because a lot of stuff is
provided by either Windows or not needed.
3) As far as I know Cygwin doesn't build locally. Stuff is built
'somewhere else' and then cygwin-setup downloads the archives, unpacks
them, and installs it into \cygwin.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren