[CentOS-devel] progress?

Lamar Owen

lowen at pari.edu
Sat Feb 19 16:35:09 UTC 2011

On Saturday, February 19, 2011 11:14:37 am Andy Grimm wrote:
> There's a little bit of work to be done (mostly to parse spec files and pull out the build reqs which *are* in the SPEC file, which should be easy), and it's a pretty significant change from how you guys are building things now, but it seems like the appropriate time to toss the information out there just to see if there's any interest.  (There a decent chance that I'll be working on this within the next couple of months regardless of interest, but knowing that someone else might contribute or benefit from it helps for motivation...)

This work has been done; it's called koji.

From my quick reading this morning, it's probably a safe speculation that RHEL6 was built with a Red Hat-internal koji instance. ( http://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2010-December/msg00128.html )

Koji is proven technology; it gets a continuous workout building Fedora.

And it has a learning curve; perhaps working through the problem the hard way first could be educational; perhaps seeing how a large extremely open project went about it could be just as educational, it depends upon what you want to learn, and where you want to spend your time.