[CentOS-devel] Website Version 2, next steps

Andreas Rogge

a.rogge at solvention.de
Mon Feb 21 12:29:04 UTC 2011

Am 20.02.2011 20:25, schrieb Andrea Veri:

> Il giorno 18/feb/2011, alle ore 21.20, Ralph Angenendt ha scritto:
>
>> Am 18.02.11 18:23, schrieb Andrea Veri:
>>
>>> I agree with all the above. We just need to define which software to use
>>> and then we should just roll up our sleeves and start making this real.
>>>
>>> Will wait the next step.
>>
>> Next step is swapping ideas around on how we can make sure to get a
>> clean user database,
>
> Asking everyone to register again can be a working solution? :)

Yeah, but that would break the user's history and ACL. For me it seems
too much Web 2.0 to be considered for Enterprise Linux :)

>> on how to make a central management "console" for
>> that and on how to best plugin different applications into that.
>>

> why don't we simple use a normal LDAP istance? and why don't we have
> a look at existing LDAP management consoles like Mango [1] or FAS?

We need a self-service console which works for our existing applications
and can - for example - solve "the wikiname problem" (i.e. different
usernames based on the application accessed)
We want to start out with a plain LDAP because it is widely supported by
the applications we intend to use. We can still move somewhere else
later as long as that one supports ldap-queries (i.e. IPA, Mango, whatever).
The problem I see with FAS is that we'd need to change our applications
to support it. For ldap it is usually just a few configuration-switches.

> Building one from scratch is definitely not an easy work, so it would be
> the best to use an existing and tested solutions.
Depends. There are centos people who are quite into ldap and while we
need some weird stuff the whole thing is rather simple.

Regards,
Andreas

--
Solvention Ltd. & Co. KG