[CentOS-devel] progress?

.

fp at kraptastic.com
Mon Feb 21 23:05:53 UTC 2011

On 2/21/2011 2:03 PM, John R. Dennison wrote:
> 	Why do you and others attempt to compare Dag's work against that
> 	of the CentOS project?  This is comparing apples to farm tractors
> 	- the projects are completely different with different
> 	requirements and different end goals.  This should really be
> 	clear to *everyone* taking part in this thread and the others;
> 	if it's not you need to take a step back and think about it for
> 	a while.

I am not comparing rpmforge to centos, I'm comparing the methodologies
used to maintain the projects ( Dag's post here:
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2011-February/006689.html).
Whilst CentOS doesn't have many files that are patched, this would be
useful for the ones that are. Another fun part is here:
http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/tools/ where they have common tools
there for people to use including their mock config. If you don't think
that is a better setup than what exists now, I guess we will have to
agree to disagree.

>> I couldn't disagree more. You are in a situation where people are
>> joining the list eager to help with Centos 6, but are being turned away
>> due to it being difficult to find out how to help. I don't care if some
>> 1st timer understands the wider goals of the Centos project, if they can
>> make a working patch for a package that currently needs work, where is
>> the problem? Lets use the resources we have available.
> 	Go start your own rebuild efforts if you think you can do any
> 	better.  Go get your group of volunteers together and see just
> 	how easy it is in practice compared to this pipe dream you and
> 	others have about how the process chain *should* work.
>
> 	Enough is enough already.

Why so quick to turn away someone who clearly wants to help? I'm not
trolling, I've put in some small patches, I'm trying to help but find it
difficult to know where to go next, I found it very difficult to get
started doing anything towards CentOS-6. I think others are having the
same experience as I did. I am interested in making their experience
easier than mine, and improving the process as a whole (if possible).

Harnessing the power of new people is a good thing, newbs become old
school eventually.