[CentOS-devel] progress?

Florian La Roche

Florian.LaRoche at gmx.net
Wed Feb 23 12:33:56 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 10:59:28AM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Hi Dag,
>
> On 02/23/2011 10:01 AM, Dag Wieers wrote:
> > No they can not. The bottom line is, people can try to reverse engineer
> > the process CentOS is using, but they may never be sure it's like what
> > CentOS did. So your statement is incorrect.
>
> I am not sure how to say this any other way, its been said many times
> over and over again : we dont use any super magic juice anywhere, its
> mostly just mock in a for loop. Lets assume that there still exists some
> fear and doubt somewhere about the process in exact terms.
>
> then lets take up the conversation on list where I said that once 6 is
> our of the door, I'll document what and how things worked for the build
> process ( including the pause's and why they took place. Would that
> remove some of this FUD layers ?

A good start for this is available at
http://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/6x/build/

Some further bits are also available in bugzilla reports at redhat.com,
so this should really be updated to reflectthe complete data, also from
the CentOS project.

> > Hence my joke that the 'C' in CentOS actually means Closed.
>
> I dont agree, if you said 'C' in CentOS is mispelled 'Slower than
> ideal', I'd agree :)
>
> > That said, if CentOS wants it this way they sure have every right to do it
> > like this. But it would be nice to state that upfront.
>
> Propose a wording snippet ?

Having the discussion on how to move between Closed / Slow / Community
is hopefully a good sign for the project. It hurts that rebuilding parts
of e.g. 5.6 is so easy and we seem to spoil any efford to combine forces
for a quick rebuild that also builds up more and more knowledge for a solid
rebuild...

best regards,

Florian La Roche