[CentOS-devel] Website Version 2, next steps

Andrea Veri

av at gnome.org
Wed Feb 23 18:13:53 UTC 2011

Il giorno 23/feb/2011, alle ore 19.00, Karanbir Singh ha scritto:

> On 02/23/2011 01:06 PM, Andrea Veri wrote:
>>> Suggestions for a solution for the web site - please no "Joompal3,
>>
>> Drupal:
>>
>> 1. it has feeds support and they are easy to implement
>
> On the flip side : if primary content on the website is going to be
> generated / project based rather than lots of text / cms style content;
> then do we need much more than a few static pages with the right css
> thrown in on top - and let the apps run as they do with the same css (
> as much as possible ).
>
> Would drupal in this case not be a total overkill ?

Going with static pages would be nice yes, but it is not really
easy to maintain. We would need a git repo with special permissions
and whatever. Drupal with its own account management can simplify
this duty and allow multiple people to edit only part of the content available
on the website. (i.e we have the administrator role that can modify modules,
and pretty much everything, we do have the editor role that can modify just
stories and other minor things)

On a drupal istance adding and managing content is really easy, while
doing a website from scratch (css, html, php, ...) can take more time to be
developed and can take some of us to disagree on how the website will look like.
(building a website requires a project and a lot of work to organize the content
itself and its structure, while this won't actually happen with Drupal, since any of
us have seen or played with a working drupal istance before today and know
how and where the content is managed)

Adopting static pages can be hard to maintain for a team, yet another vcs to
push stuff to. But anyway I am open to any idea, my main interest is to change
things making the current website a bit more useful and nice.

Just my two cents.

Andrea