[CentOS-devel] CentOS-4.9 SRPMS

Sat Feb 19 14:15:04 UTC 2011
Larry Vaden <vaden at texoma.net>

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 7:40 AM, js <jsh at interlug.net> wrote:

> If you think the "centos community" is some guys who count the number of
> srpms in a ftp server; ok,
> we can close the discussion; talk to a wall is a waste of time.

Unless yours truly has missed the boat, the nut of the problem Johnny
assigned to us want-2-b helpers as our homework is understanding the
field structure of the .src.rpm in order to generate which rev to
build from, e.g.,

bind-9.2.4-16.EL4.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-20.EL4.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-24.EL4.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-27.0.1.el4.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-28.0.1.el4.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-28.el4.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-30.el4_7.1.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-30.el4_7.2.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-30.el4_8.4.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-30.el4_8.5.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-30.el4_8.6.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-30.el4.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-37.el4.src.rpm

and

vixie-cron-4.1-36.EL4.src.rpm
vixie-cron-4.1-44.EL4.src.rpm
vixie-cron-4.1-47.EL4.src.rpm
vixie-cron-4.1-49.EL4.src.rpm
vixie-cron-4.1-50.el4.src.rpm
vixie-cron-4.1-57.el4.src.rpm
vixie-cron-4.1-58.el4.src.rpm

IOW, it doesn't appear to be a problem for which a simple 'cut' works.
 Both rpm and yum understand how to parse, but this poster doesn't at
this time.  One approach might be to build an rpm database and then
yum it to find out what it would install.

I think it fair to assume Johnny won't be hinting about how to do
this, but has essentially crafted a homework exercise that tests us
want-2-b helpers to determine if we can even determine which packages
need to be included in the process.

regards/ldv/vaden at texoma.net

vaden at turtlehill:~/work-for-johnny-4.9-srpm-list$ wc -l *.list
   880 centos.list
   275 centos-updates.list
  3266 combined.list
  2601 combined.uniq.list