[CentOS-devel] CentOS-4.9 SRPMS

Sat Feb 19 23:58:40 UTC 2011
John R. Dennison <jrd at gerdesas.com>

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 03:27:56PM -0800, Richard McClellan wrote:
> 1. Johnny Hughes, you would do CentOS well to mind your words. Or
> better yet, don't respond to threads asking about the process or
> release status.  Instead, take half a day and write up a description
> of it.

	He already went over the build process in more than enough
	detail to permit someone outside the project to do so.

> 2. The CentOS process is opaque and secretive. It may indeed be very
> complex with justifiable restrictions over who can contribute at what
> level, but the process should be described somewhere. This would also
> help impartial observers/users of CentOS understand why things take as
> long as they do. The process and team appear to be dysfunctional to
> the point that using CentOS may be a risk.

	Secretive?  Just today there have been postings with enough
	information to permit someone familiar with development
	processes in general to do their own build.  Do you need
	something along the lines of "Step 1: Collect and download to a
	staging area the necessary source RPMs from upstream."
	hand-holding?

> 3. A lot of people are frustrated with the level and type of
> communication from the CentOS inner circle. Increasing the level of
> communication--including release status--and politeness would be good
> for CentOS.

	This is arguably true to some extent, but by no means a
	necessary occurrence.

> A few days on this list was enough to give me a fresh interest in
> finding an alternative to CentOS.

	I hear Redhat would be happy to sell you a set of support
	subscriptions.  Of course, you would be required to pay for
	them.

> With that I bid you all good luck and thanks for five year of CentOS.

	Please don't let the door get scuffed on your way out :)

							John
--
I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that
there are as few as there are any other great artists.  It might even be

-- John Steinbeck (1902-1968), American writer, Nobel laureate, Pultizer
   Prize awardee, "...like captured fireflies" (1955)