[CentOS-devel] progress?

Mon Feb 21 02:51:01 UTC 2011
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 02/20/2011 08:28 PM, Steve Meyers wrote:
> On 2/20/11 7:21 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> External rebuilds of packages could never be used by this project, or
>> any other project.
>
> Agreed, but if I successfully rebuilt it on my own, I could submit to
> the project the details build environment that I used (repos and such).
>   That would (in theory) help, would it not?

Yes, if that was what happened.

But instead, what happens is someone builds the RPMs ... puts it in
their blog.  All their buddies download it.  The build requirements are
broken and it causes bugs.  A month later, we get them logging in to the
forums or the mailing lists or IRC with the broken packages that have
the same EVR numbers as ours and don't get replaced by the real packages
and it is a bad experience for everyone.

Or, we have thousands of users with varying levels of capability, some
of which are very knowledgeable and would produce data that helps us a
lot.  Pick a percentage of people where that data is good ... 1%, 10%,
20%, 30% ... the rest of the data is incorrect.  How long does it take
us to verify that the data is correct or incorrect and how does that
compare to the time spent if we just build it and test it?

etc, etc, etc.