[CentOS-devel] progress?

Mon Feb 21 21:04:17 UTC 2011
. <fp at kraptastic.com>

On 2/21/2011 7:02 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 02/19/2011 07:31 AM, . wrote:
>>        I do believe that if we had a system similar to what Dag is using;
> good place to start would be this mailing list archives. Then consider
> that Rpmforge ( dag is a part of that ) is a very different kind of an
> issue. There are more model's than 1 of doing this work, I dont
> understand why people find that such a hard concept to get their heads
> around.
I understand completely that there are different models for the process,
and I am stating that in my opinion the process rpmforge is using seems
to be working better (as far as communities are concerned), and doesn't
sound very hard to make work for CentOS. A model that expects people to
go through the mailing list archives (even with google helping) doesn't
make any sense. We need to make contributing to CentOS easy, currently
it is not easy to find out where to start. Even if you find that most of
the stuff in the http://wiki.centos.org/QaWiki/6/AuditStatus listed as
'confirmed, action required' have had action and there are patches
posted, yet they remain.

> by design, we were not looking for people new to the process and to
> CentOS. We were focusing on people who have been on this list for a
> significant portion of time, people who understand the wider goals. And
> there are hundreds of them.
I couldn't disagree more. You are in a situation where people are
joining the list eager to help with Centos 6, but are being turned away
due to it being difficult to find out how to help. I don't care if some
1st timer understands the wider goals of the Centos project, if they can
make a working patch for a package that currently needs work, where is
the problem? Lets use the resources we have available.