[CentOS-devel] progress?

Wed Feb 23 01:15:22 UTC 2011
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is a very helpful explanation; thanks Johnny.
>>
>> How are these changes codified?  Is there, say, a 'BRPM' file, with a:
>>
>>   BuildRootRequires: perl-XML-Parser
>
>>From really harsh experience: such lines should, ideally say:
>
>       BuildRequires: perl(XML::Parser) # in the .spec file
>

> The Debian model of "apply these packages to the base tarball or
> someone else's package" works pretty well, and the model might be
> fasible for SRPM building. (I actually assume a structure like that is
> already in place: it's the sort of thing I'd like access to, rather
> than rewriting from scratch.)
>
> It's really important that published SRPM's be complete for mock compilation.

I am aware, but it also is very important that we (the CentOS Project)
do not change the SRPMS (or the source tar balls, or any other piece of
source) for any reason except to remove trademarks and copyright info.
It is the whole purpose of the CentOS Project.

The bottom line is, people can figure out how to recompile the packages
just like we did ... but we don't change the sources.  This is not going
to change.  If you want the sources changed, figure out what needs to be
changed and ping on the upstream people as required to change their
source files.

They are the ones who can:

1.  Make the distro self hosting
2.  Get rid of hidden build requirements

The CentOS Project rebuilds upstream sources as released ... if you are
looking for "something else", then this is not your distro.