[CentOS-devel] progress?

Thu Feb 24 16:59:02 UTC 2011
Thomas Bendler <ml at bendler-net.de>

2011/2/23 Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>

> On 02/22/2011 08:26 PM, Thomas Bendler wrote:
> > And to make my point clear, I don't believe it is rocket science to
> > get such a release cycle established if _more_ skilled people are
> > involved in the release creation (beyond translation work).
> I do believe you dont know what you are talking about, have done no
> research or aware of the CentOS process. You seem to be going on and on
> about getting more eyes on the ball, which is exactly what we attempted
> to do last year, and the option is still open.

Funny to know that I don't know what I'm talking about but maybe you can be
more specific. As I already pointed out in another mail, for me it look like
that having more than one release at the same time (4.9, 5.6 and 6) result
in a major slow down of release cycle time. This means for me, the project
isn't able to scale (correct me if I'm wrong). When the project can't scale
it is under normal circumstances a matter of human resources or technical
boundaries. As you told me already in December, it is not a technical
problem. So from my point of view it could _only_ be a matter of human
resources in terms that not enough people working on the release (again,
correct me if I'm wrong). To offer my help I asked already in December,
please provide a list of packages that don't compile so that people that are
willing to help can help getting this packages compiled (i.e. with differnet
mock settings or whatever needed to get this compiled). If the recompile
isn't possible because the SRPM is broken they can submit Bugreports to RH.
But I only saw such a list on the SL website (
https://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/6x/build/problembyrpm), not on
the CentOS website.

What I heard in the meantime is that CentOS has a policy that the next
release must be compiled with CentOS what I think is a bit funny simply
because RedHat don't use a build environment based in RedHat (I read an
article in the press indicating that they use FC12 koji with some FC13, FC14
backports, but I can't proof this). But the point is still, if you and your
team allow skilled people to support you in the release creation (not by
signing packages or so, but to work out open items, problems, whatsoever) it
is something that the CentOS project will benefit, specially if you look at
the mails currently on the list, most mails are from the same type, when is
CentOS X.X released and why isn't it already released.

Kind regards, Thomas