[CentOS-devel] are there any chances to see finished CentOS6 in 2011?

Farkas Levente lfarkas at lfarkas.org
Wed Jan 5 14:20:23 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 14:19, Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler at riscworks.net> wrote:
>> Don't get me wrong, I am well aware of the fact that there are issues
>> and situations that need looking at and changing. But lets do the right
>> thing rather than just doing something. Going by the popularist current
>> mood of people on this list, I think people just want early access to a
>> codebase they can start using for their own use rather than actually
>> working towards building CentOS-6.
>
> What's the problem? Opening the code base (or build process, scripts,
> etc), so that anyone can 'try it at home' will not hurt the project. Not
> doing so, however, does hurt.
>
> Its simple maths: Open it, have 9,382 people try it, 43 fixing bugs, 23
> reporting back to you. (However, I doubt that in case 43 people applied
> working patches only 23 would report back -- that really would be a
> waste of time and energy.) You win 23 developers.
>
> Do not open it, nobody reports back; maybe even worse, people interested
> in the project get annoyed and more inactive than they wanted to.

i agree with you Timo. that's my problems too. actually we already
rebuild rhel-6. i fill about 80% of those bugreport in bugzilla.r.c
which is related to rhel-6 rebuild. what's more not just report them
but send the bugfix patches or solutions too. so i hope no one like to
said that i'm not willing to help.
when you wrote Karanbir, that the first round of rebuild run without
issue, i even ask you about it. you don't tell anything. that's what
we can't call open process. since it's obvious you can't rebuild all
packages without issue (rh also confirm most of the bugfix).
you don't even response me when i wrote that building rhel-6 on
centos-5 host is not advised.
we also don't know what's the current state of centos-6?
where the centos-6 stay today?
what's missing?
is there any open source control system for centos patches? where the
open not referring to the source control code:-)
can anybody review the current patches _before_ the final release of centos-6?
can anybody easily browse the patches and can send fixes or should
open all src.rpm and copy out from them.
can anybody easily browse the build system? can anybody easily browse
the build log files like in case of fedora koji very useful when
someone like to debug a build or find a problem and even try to fix
it.
etc...

--
  Levente                               "Si vis pacem para bellum!"