[CentOS-devel] are there any chances to see finished CentOS6 in 2011?

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Thu Jan 6 09:13:38 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 09:55:23AM +0100, Timo Schoeler wrote:

> In case people decide to fork (forking from CentOS is pointless; it'd
> had to be a fork from RHEL, as you said above, but 'done right'), please
> PM me. Resources shouldn't be the problem (speaking of servers, housing
> them, etc).

	You do realize that there are many respins of CentOS, some of
	which are commercial products?  In that light forking directly
	from CentOS isn't "pointless" as others are doing so
	successfully.  I do agree that working directly from upstream
	source streams offers many more benefits.

	And do you realize that there are quite a few people already
	working on their own repackaging and re-branding projects?  This
	thread has identified some of these people.  If you were wanted
	to contribute to one (or more) of the on-going projects it might
	be more effective than starting from scratch.

	As far as infrastructure goes...  I'm not privy to any more
	information than any other project outsider, but just poking
	around and you can get a relative feel for the size and scope of
	the CentOS project's infrastructure.  While a new fork/respin
	wouldn't require the resources that a firmly established project
	like CentOS requires, the undertaking still isn't trivial; if
	the new project grows to any size the infra requirements jump
	up quickly.

	If you do take this route, please keep us informed as to your
	progress and I wish you good luck in your endeavor.

							John

--
<Hellow> Adola: rm -rf /
<Adola>  Hellow: What is that?