[CentOS-devel] 5.6 impact on 6.0 Release plan

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Fri Jan 14 06:29:40 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 11:56:30PM -0600, Hubert Bahr wrote:

> Painful is fedora, but hardware/new apps with 5 not filling the void.
> Upstream recognizes the loss to other vendors so released 6.0 well
> before 5.6 although 5.6 is much easier.

	I will give you the hardware edge here as it's a valid argument;
	but the I still maintain that most "modern" userland
	functionality can be had by appropriate use of third-party
	vetted repos.

> Agreed but updates full fill the major majority of the needs for the
> current installs.  I never advocated dropping  5 just keeping the
> release order in the same sequence as upstream.

	C6 is already quite late, for various definitions of "late";
	moving it back however much more to get 5.6 dealt with and out
	the door and off the dev's plates isn't going to make or break
	it for most I wouldn't think.  Speaking for myself, I want 5.6
	and have little use for 6 at the present time.  5.6+security
	rollups is a much higher priority for myself and my clients.

> This statement was asinine since nobody expects systems "satisfied" by
> C5 to switch.  But do not expect those dissatisfied by C5 to wait while
> you switch the release order of the upstream vendor.

	Those that aren't satisfied are free to purchase appropriate
	upstream entitlements :)

							John
--
We only think when we are confronted with problems.

-- John Dewey (1859-1952), American philosopher, educator