[CentOS-devel] irc meeting today re: 5.6/6.0

Les Mikesell

lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 18:47:24 UTC 2011

On 1/15/11 12:04 PM, Jeff Sheltren wrote:

> Personally, I think the mirror infrastructure in place is more than
> sufficient for releases and there's no need to complicate things with
> seeding torrents (full or partial) before the official release on the
> mirrors.
>
> Do people have problems with slow downloads just after a centos
> release?  I can say our mirrors have always had plenty of bandwidth to
> spare during a centos release.

At least some of the mirrors are insanely fast - at least since the 5.x release.
The usual issue is that some are not and on big updates they can be out of sync.
  Even if the torrents don't start much ahead of the full release they should
help keep the slower mirrors from being overloaded with iso downloads.  How do
the links from distrowatch.com work?  Are they independent bandwidth or do they
go to the usual mirrors?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com