[CentOS-devel] are there any chances to see finished CentOS6 in 2011?

Phil Schaffner

Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.gov
Sat Jan 1 03:00:10 UTC 2011

Ralph Angenendt wrote on 12/31/2010 08:44 AM:
> Am 28.12.10 10:37, schrieb Filip Bartmann:
>
>> So why is CentOS development so closed? Why users can't have alphas,
>> or betas of this distro and must use some other rebuild as Scientific
>> Linux?
>
> One of the reasons is the sheer volume.

The sheer volume would seem to be a good enabler and reason to have a
more robust and open development process.

> CentOS is in use (wild educated
> guess here) on a massively larger scale than SL is. Just getting out the
> isos for an alpha or beta or whatever will take at least a day to two
> for getting on all mirror servers. If you also want to have the
> packages, it even might take longer.

No reason I can see that alpha/beta releases should have to go to all
the mirrors, nor even that it would be desirable.  Torrents for the ISOs
(as Timo Schoeler suggested) and perhaps a one or a few servers for
direct ISO downloads (and possibly packages trees) would suffice.

Phil