[CentOS-devel] Closing out CentOS 6 Bugs

Matthew Miller

mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Jan 5 16:29:11 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 11:42:00AM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> I am keen on looking at using a centos-release with a link over from
> redhat-release, but lets consider / look at the implications and
> fallouts before deciding on something for sure. There should not be any
> reason to patch redhat-lsb; whatever we do should not, ideally, have any
> impact on code and expectations from other apps ( specially since there
> might be implications to third party apps that we cant / dont want to
> have a feedback loop into )

Third-party proprietary programs which look for /etc/redhat-release are
often (already in CentOS 5) confused by finding something other than an
exact Red Hat version string there. There's really nothing we can do about
that, although having separate files allows /etc/centos-release to contain
the real information while local admins can edit /etc/redhat-release to have
whatever e.g. Oracle is looking for.

Of course, this can be done whether or not the file is originally a symlink.