[CentOS-devel] 5.6 impact on 6.0 Release plan

Hubert Bahr

hab at hbahr.org
Fri Jan 14 04:59:10 UTC 2011

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 10:30:55PM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
>>  From my perspective:
>> - 5.6 impacts existing installs
>> - 5.6 and updates contain security issues
>>

> This alone seems enough. The rest is frosting. :)

A different perspective.  RHEL-5, CentOS-5 no matter what point change
is essentially obsolete.  Thus the need for RHEL-6, CentOS-6 which are
actually a couple of years late.  How much has changed form 5.5 +
updates to 5.6.  How many existing systems will use the iso's instead of
yum update.  Iso's are primarily used for new installs.  If I am making
a new install, am I waiting for 5.6 or for 6.x?  I had to leave CentOS
for many of my systems a couple of years ago because it did not support
the newer applications.  So 6 fills a void currently painfully handled
by Fedora instead of an enterprise class system.  Bug fixes are needed
by installed systems, they should be released as soon as the bug is
fixed.  Point changes are primarily a snapshot taken to speed up an
install on a new system not to update a current system.
Hubert