[CentOS-devel] 5.6 impact on 6.0 Release plan

Hubert Bahr

hab at hbahr.org
Fri Jan 14 07:24:43 UTC 2011

Alex/AT wrote:
> Hubert Bahr <hab at hbahr.org> писал(а) в своём письме Fri, 14 Jan 2011
> 07:59:10 +0300:
>

>> A different perspective.  RHEL-5, CentOS-5 no matter what point change
>> is essentially obsolete.  Thus the need for RHEL-6, CentOS-6 which are
>> actually a couple of years late.  How much has changed form 5.5 +
>> updates to 5.6.  How many existing systems will use the iso's instead of
>> yum update.  Iso's are primarily used for new installs.  If I am making
>> a new install, am I waiting for 5.6 or for 6.x?  I had to leave CentOS
>> for many of my systems a couple of years ago because it did not support
>> the newer applications.  So 6 fills a void currently painfully handled
>> by Fedora instead of an enterprise class system.  Bug fixes are needed
>> by installed systems, they should be released as soon as the bug is
>> fixed.  Point changes are primarily a snapshot taken to speed up an
>> install on a new system not to update a current system.
>> Hubert
>>

> If you can afford Fedora on your systems, there isn't need to worry about
> C6, because you've already given up on stability.
> And those who want stability, still use C5.

If C5 doesn't cut the mustard you are forced to a different solution.
Lack of stability in Fedora is a Pain thus the need for 6.  Obsolescence
is also a pain not all applications have the same demands.  You are
lucky if your demands are met by less than near state of the art.  Of
course hardware is evolving so fast and new designs are quite often
provide much more bang for the buck that it is uneconomical to maintain
them.  We used to buy source code to maintain systems far past their
prime, but maintenance costs soon drowned out replacement costs, so
strategies evolved.  So to must the OS.
   I would prefer not to use two different OS's but I am updating
hardware.  CentOS 6 is so late that I already have developed my own
binaries and will use them.  No I can not distribute them.  Even with
this solution it will take time to migrate the remaining systems.  EPEL
has a schedule to release EPEL 6 that completely eliminates the use of
Fedora, I am very glad to be able to get back to an Enterprise system.
  Nobody has yet told me what the difference is between 5.5 + updates
and 5.6 that makes it essential to push back the rollout of 6.0.  I have
no argument with security fixes, but aren't those already covered by the
updates?  Are the new features so essential to the installed base that
they need them before the rollout of C6?  How long a delay is that?  No
EPEL 5 etal does not meet my needs for all of my systems although most
still use it.  I have avoided jumping to non-rpm based distributions,
but the temptation is still there.  On some of my systems they are the
easy way out due to specific applications which are not covered by epel
etal supplements.
    Yes I have already purchased some subscriptions, I would have
preferred to donate the money to CentOS.  It is now spent so it is no
longer available for donation.
   Don't slam a different perspective, please try to understand it.
Hubert