[CentOS-devel] A new look for CentOS (was Re: Italian Translation Team)

Andrea Veri

av at gnome.org
Sat Jan 29 11:55:28 UTC 2011

Il 29/01/11 05.18, Phil Schaffner ha scritto:

> Andrea,
>
> That seems to me to be a valid argument.  If someone is willing to step
> up and devote substantial time to making Website 2.0 a reality, then
> their desire to work within a familiar environment should carry a lot of
> weight.

you rock, thanks!

> There has been a fair amount of discussion on the forum part of the new
> website.  As a forum moderator, my primary concerns are:
>
> 1. A relatively seamless transition from the old site to the new,
> preserving both content and internal links to the greatest extent
> possible, and migrating existing active accounts.
>
> 2. A robust forum implementation, with ease of use being more important
> than features.
>
> 3. A mechanism for registering new users that locks out the spambots
> that have plagued the forum.  Individual spammers we can handle with
> relative ease.  The bogus accounts by the thousands are much more of a
> drain on resources.

I saw a lot of efforts have been made about this on the wiki and the plan,
as far as I see it on the wiki page in question [1], is about to migrate
Xoops+CBB(newbb) to phpBB. (which is a forum software which seems
to meet all the requirements you kindly posted above here)

So, definitely yes, everything from users to posts must be preserved while
migrating to the new platform. Feel free to let me know if i can help you
with something else.

> Similar concerns apply to the Wiki - Seamless migration of existing
> content, and an easy path for contributors to continue their work, while
> preventing bad guys from doing damage.

I guess the wiki won't be touched at first time since it is hosted on
its own
domain and it is just linked to the website. Anyway it will have to be
centralized to the main LDAP istance, but there are some handy guides
around. [2]

[1] http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums/newbb_to_phpbb
[2]
http://moinmo.in/MoinMoinQuestions/Authentication#How_do_I_integrate_LDAP_authentication_with_moin_moin.3F_.281.29