[CentOS-devel] A new look for CentOS (was Re: Italian Translation Team)

Ned Slider

ned at unixmail.co.uk
Sun Jan 30 19:48:10 UTC 2011

On 30/01/11 18:25, Athmane Madjoudj wrote:
> On 01/30/2011 06:57 PM, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>> Am 28.01.11 12:47, schrieb Athmane Madjoudj:
>>> Typo3 is more enterprise oriented (the same for: eZ publish),
>>>
>>> Quote from Type3 website: (URL: http://typo3.org/about/new-to-typo3/)
>>>
>>> "TYPO3 is a very huge and capable system and it cannot be fully learned
>>> in a week! TYPO3 will always have a long learning curve for developers."
>>>
>>> IMHO, Drupal is easier to use and maintain for a community website, the
>>> other alternative can be Joomla!.
>>
>> Both known for regular security issues (that's why I want to have
>> software which is updated through packaged channels - we do have the
>> same problem with xoops).
>>
>> Ah and yes: If someone wants to suggest that - xoops is out :)
>>

> IMHO, we should first begin with migration of the forum (xoops bb ->
> phpBB), make a theme for phpBB (I like much more the centos wiki theme)
> and then think about CMS (or web framework) for website.
>
> Also I've noticed that the website is modified once per new CentOS
> release, so it's possible to drop CMS requirement and use plain
> HTML/CSS/JS(jquery ...), AFAIK other distro website (Fedora, openSuSE)
> run like that.
>
> http://www.opensuse.org/en/
> http://fedoraproject.org/

+100 to that.

To me it is fairly evident that the website content isn't maintained on
any sort of regular basis hence the current rot. The website might as
well be a (fairly) static landing site pointing to things like downloads
of the latest release, the Wiki, the forums, the mailing lists, the IRC
channels etc where the active community actually resides. IMHO the Wiki
largely replaces the need for any CMS.