[CentOS-devel] 5.6 Tweet

Thu Jan 13 21:00:59 UTC 2011
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>

Phil Schaffner wrote:
> http://twitter.com/centos
>
> "So: QA 5.6 and 6.0 in parallel or prefer one release over the other.
> Imho, 5.6 impacts existing installs, should get higher pref. Thoughts ?"
>
> Agree.  A public announcement of a decision on this, when made, would
> help head off a lot of user questions.
>
> Phil

Let me express my personal opinion on that discussion (there was already
a small discussion about that on IRC).
I'd prefer seeing 5.6 than 6.0 and for specific reasons :

- the centos 5.x install base is there while there is (obviously) no
centos 6 install base.
- So those people having machines in production, faced to the net, etc,
etc would prefer having their machines patched and up2date (security
first !)
- people running CentOS 5.x on servers and waiting for php53 packages,
now officially included
- on the build side, the el5 build process is clearly identified and
known since 2007 : packages with branding issues are already identified
and patches/artwork is already there, meaning that it will be probably
(surely) faster to have 5.6 out of the door than 6
- same rule for the QA process : people from the QA team can blindly
focus on their previous tests, and just have a look eventually at some
newer packages (a few, like php53 but not that much in comparison with el6)

Fabian Arrotin