[CentOS-devel] 5.6 impact on 6.0 Release plan

Fri Jan 14 07:55:34 UTC 2011
John R. Dennison <jrd at gerdesas.com>

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 01:24:43AM -0600, Hubert Bahr wrote:

> If C5 doesn't cut the mustard you are forced to a different solution.

	Yep, C5 base/updates and your 3rd-party repo of choice for
	userland and elrepo for drivers for more modern hardware in
	many cases.

>   Nobody has yet told me what the difference is between 5.5 + updates
> and 5.6 that makes it essential to push back the rollout of 6.0.  I have

	php53 and bind97 are show-stoppers for many; both are obtainable
	outside the official channels now, but having them as part of
	base is quite useful for many.  bind97, with the support for
	DNSSEC it offers, is a hard requirement in many industry sectors
	at the present time.

> no argument with security fixes, but aren't those already covered by the
> updates?  Are the new features so essential to the installed base that
> they need them before the rollout of C6?  How long a delay is that?  No

	Yes, in many peoples opinions they are quite essential.

> EPEL 5 etal does not meet my needs for all of my systems although most
> still use it.  I have avoided jumping to non-rpm based distributions,
> but the temptation is still there.  On some of my systems they are the
> easy way out due to specific applications which are not covered by epel
> etal supplements.

	epel is not the only game in town.

>     Yes I have already purchased some subscriptions, I would have
> preferred to donate the money to CentOS.  It is now spent so it is no
> longer available for donation.

	The project hasn't taken monetary donations since '09 as far as
	I know.  You are still supporting the project, albeit
	indirectly, by getting RH entitlements.  Supporting the upstream
	is always in the project's best interest.

>    Don't slam a different perspective, please try to understand it.

	Yep, please try to see the point that 5.6 is extremely important
	to many.

							John
--
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit