[CentOS-devel] Spacewalk packages removed in CentOS 6?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Jul 11 15:36:46 UTC 2011

Hi Miroslav,

On 07/11/2011 10:36 AM, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> and the conclusion was that we will leave CentOS 5 as is (i.e. do not
> add there this packages) but in CentOS 6 this packages will not be removed.

I tried to raise this question again, and the general feeling that
everyone got was : spacewalk users tend to setup their own custom repo's
and therefore dont rely on the *rhn* code in the distro. Also spacewalk
users are mostly using newer code than whats in the distro, so leaving
those packages in does not help.

If there was to be some sort of a clear reason as to why these packages
should be included, I personally dont have any objections to
re-introducing them ( we can do it into Extras/ for 6.0 and reinstate
them into the 6.1/os distro ). So if we can get some level of agreement
with the community at large that these rpms help, we can look at doing
the work.

It would also help if someone was to do a code audit and make sure these
*rhn* rpms:

- have no TM issues

- carry no Red Hat hosted dependancies

- have nothing that might indicate to a user that they are running RHEL
or a related product

- Have no by-default action that access or tries to access a .redhat.com
hosted resource

And finally :  report those on the bugs.c.o instance ( so open a report
at bugs.c.o against each srpm name, and either indicate a change is
needed or state that no-change-is-needed )

Regards,

- KB