[CentOS-devel] package centos-release-10:5-6.el5.centos.1.x86_64 newer than centos-release-6-0.el6.centos.5.x86_64

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Jul 11 15:51:36 UTC 2011

On 07/11/2011 09:26 AM, Farkas Levente wrote:
> unsupported method upstream, right.
> working in upstream, right.
> working in centos, not.

I disagree. Let me explain why that is : RHEL and CentOS address very
different userbases. Looking through the sort of posts that make it to
the different mailing lists would make this quite clear. RHEL will work
through support stuff with people, its not that simple on CentOS.

When you say this 'it works upstream', you are changing the definition
of what 'it' might be in comparision to what the definition of 'it' is
in regards to CentOS. To me, 'it' amounts to being able to upgrade from
C5 to C6 or EL5 to EL6, without a wipe+reinstall[1]. And 'it' works in
just about exactly the same way on CentOS as on RHEL - you need to
custom build rpm, its dep chain. then get py26 in place, with yum that
uses that py26 ( on c5 ), then go through 2 reboot cycles in order to
make the process work. At the second boot stage, you need the
centos-release rpm to be replaced. Also important at this stage is that
having a $releasever at '5' does not break your machine, so a manual
choice being needed to come into effect for $releasecer to move to '6'
isnt a bad thing, I'd even venture a bit closer to the edge and say its
a 'feature'.

the fact that it breaks the upgradeany install isnt ideal. Its not a
'supported' mechanism, but then not much is 'supported' within the
centos ecosystem either; and having the flexibility to break your stuff
in ways you find interesting is also a feature in CentOS :)

I agree with Russ on that lets document this for now, and try to see how
we can resolve the case moving forward ( 6.1 isnt far! ); exactly what
the fix might be is still open to debate a bit. Reintroducting an EPOC
should, please please, be the last resort.

> the centos is compatible with upstream? no.
> is it a bug? yes.
> so it is a fud? no it was simple a bug report.

Did you then file it as a bug report ? And did you either add something
to the RNotes in the wiki ( or propose text that should be added in ? )

- KB

[1]: please do correct me if that seems unreasonable.