[CentOS-devel] Updates between minor releases

Marcus Moeller

marcus.moeller at gmx.ch
Wed Jul 13 08:04:07 UTC 2011

Dear Karan.

>> Okay, so this CR repo is meant to be some kind of rolling (maybe similar
>> to SL's rolling repo)? In fact, there should not be a problem to get
>> back to the os/ updates/ repo as it's all about package versions. Of
>> course, if one switches back during a release, he/she will have a mixed
>> env, but it will be cleared on next point release.
>
> its actually not a rolling repo, in that you will need to have os/ and
> updates/ enabled in order to use CR/ for anye ffect, and rpms will be
> deleted from CR/ once a point release happens. So its not a case of
> opt-in, and leave it running forever ( we could do that as well, but
> before we end up with users tied in permanently, I feel it would be good
> to air the plan with the 6.0 -> 6.1 build cycle - ensure we are ticking
> the right boxs with the right sort of solution )

So the CR repo will contain packages from the next minor, or from the
next minor and beyond?

e.g. during transition from 5.6 to 5.7 will it contain only packages
from the upcoming 5.7 minor? As upstream might have released sec updated
for 5.7 already, which might be useful, too.

The disadvantage of pulling updates from beyond minor would be that a CR
enabled system is in a somewhat undefined state (what I would call
rolling), but equipped with the latest updates.

Greets
Marcus