[CentOS-devel] centos6 postgres static libraries

Mon Jul 11 22:50:03 UTC 2011
Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro>

On 07/12/2011 01:41 AM, Nickos H wrote:
> the
> /lib/libpgport.a
>
> changed name to
> /lib/libpg.so
>
> I don't care about if it is going to be a static link or a shared link
> I saw I library that does exist in centos 5 and does not in centos 6

The correct topic to discuss here is "does this particular library exist
in RHEL 6 and does not exist in CentOS 6?". Changes between major
releases , as imposed by RHEL, are not really a topic for this list, as,
as you must know, CentOS tries maintain 100% binary compatibility with
RHEL's binary packages.

> if this is it we need to change the link method to this library
>
> can anybody validate that this is the correct library before we change
> the link option
> to this library, I am trying to compile gdal for elgis community, we
> just stuck to that
>
> this is the package
> postgresql-devel-8.4.7-1.el6_0.1.x86_64

If RHEL decided to change the name of the library/libraries then
probably you should follow their trend and change the configuration
options of whatever software you try to build.
As a sidenote, your initial message mentioned /usr/lib/libpgport.a not
/lib/libpgport.a.
And also, you either make confusions between static and dynamic libs or
you forgot to explain something. As an observation, it is nicer for your
users to use dynamic libs wherever possible.

     manuel