[CentOS-devel] Updates between minor releases

Tue Jul 12 10:51:36 UTC 2011

On 07/12/2011 11:39 AM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
> Okay, so this CR repo is meant to be some kind of rolling (maybe similar
> to SL's rolling repo)? In fact, there should not be a problem to get
> back to the os/ updates/ repo as it's all about package versions. Of
> course, if one switches back during a release, he/she will have a mixed
> env, but it will be cleared on next point release.

its actually not a rolling repo, in that you will need to have os/ and
updates/ enabled in order to use CR/ for anye ffect, and rpms will be
deleted from CR/ once a point release happens. So its not a case of
opt-in, and leave it running forever ( we could do that as well, but
before we end up with users tied in permanently, I feel it would be good
to air the plan with the 6.0 -> 6.1 build cycle - ensure we are ticking
the right boxs with the right sort of solution )

>> We are getting this ready for 6.0/CR/ at this very moment ( and it might
>> be a few days before it starts seeing rpms ) - so if there are things
>> that need bashed out or spoken about or design issues that concern
>> anyone, now would be a great time to share
>
> Is it planned for the complete cycle or only till 6.1 has been finished?
> Because it sounds like a good idea, in general.

the process is in place for the 5.6/ to 5.7/ build cycle, I'm adapting
that for 6.x now, the plan is to keep it in place and use it everytime
there is a new release ( provided it works as expected )

- KB