[CentOS-devel] announcing stuff that is in CR/

Thu Jul 21 16:44:09 UTC 2011
R P Herrold <herrold at centos.org>

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> Opinions on what would be a good time to announce rpms that make it into
> the CR/ repo's ? As we build through 5.7 and 6.1, and start pushing the
> packages into the CR/ repo, should we also be announcing those updates ?
> On one hand it seems like the best time to announce it since the rpms
> are available - however they are only available to people who
> specifically opt into the CR/ process, so perhaps the best time to
> announce them would be when the rpms are in the os ( or updates/ ) repos
> in the next release.
>
> thoughts ?

I assume the 'cr' goal is to provide early release of
un-vetted (as to potential changes needed for anaconda and ISO
making) updates during intersticial periods when a new point
release is being turned into an installable ISO

Once the installable releases, CR seems irrelevant until the
next time, as 'updates' would have content

As such the flow of announcements will be a flood, or famine

I would set up a centos-cr-announce mailing RO list, add a
request to the message footer that the receiver file bugs, and
just post there

Optionally it might make sense to partition this list into
$MAJOR variants
 	centos-cr-4-announce
 	centos-cr-5-announce
 	centos-cr-6-announce