[CentOS-devel] ksplice and CentOS

Fri Jul 22 01:12:58 UTC 2011
Cia Watson <ciamarie at my180.net>

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 21:37:26 +0100
Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> hi guys,
>
> lots of people on this list are keen on contributing to the CentOS
> effort - and one place where we could, as a group of people, make a
> massive difference is being able to deliver a ksplice upgrade model.
> A couple of people have started in silo's to try and get something
> together but I feel it might be a good time to try and see if we can
> do somethng as a group.
>
> Do we have people on the list who find the idea of rebootless kernel
> upgrades interesting ? Is there some desire to try and make that
> happen within the CentOS Ecosystem ?

guys, and gals?  :-)

They recently introduced something called kexec-tools in Debian
(testing /wheezy) and for those in the linux mint debian arena (LMDE),
it didn't go well. I'm currently using Debian testing (not mintified)
and don't have it installed. Here's the description, in case it's
helpful:

This tool is used to load a kernel in memory and reboot into
the kernel loaded in memory using the kexec system call.

Here's a link:
http://packages.debian.org/testing/admin/kexec-tools

Cia W