[CentOS-devel] ksplice and CentOS

Fri Jul 22 11:57:06 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 07/22/2011 09:54 AM, Marian Marinov wrote:
> I spoke with my colleges about Ksplice and one very interesting question
> popped up:
>
>     What will happen with our fork efforts if Oracle suddenly patent the Ksplice
> software ?

There are some patents(?) already involved :
http://www.faqs.org/patents/assignee/ksplice-inc/

- http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20100269105
- http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20100269106

> I know that in Europe we don't have the problem with software pattents and the
> GPL will protect us from any issues like that.
>
> However what is the situation in the US and other countries that have software
> pattents ?

Carrying content that has patent or regional restrictions is always
going to be a tricky question for what we are doing in .centos.org - but
there are people we can talk to about stuff like this if there is a need
to clear stuff up.

- KB