[CentOS-devel] Status of CentOS 5 for the i586?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Jun 3 13:11:03 UTC 2011

On Friday, June 03, 2011 12:10:23 AM Cody Jackson wrote:
> Is this information useful in any way? I know the K6 is *practically*
> dead, but I'm sure there's a few diehards using it still. (Maybe three
> or four?)

Yes, it's useful.  i586, as mentioned already in the thread, is needed for Geode support, as well as VIA C3 support.  I have a number of Chompers and Sharptooth boxes lying around that make good embedded systems, with decent amounts of RAM and disk.  I also have a few C3 systems, and getting CentOS 5 on them would be nice.  Not critical, but nice.  Expecially the Nomadix hotspot gateway box, which has multiple 10/100 ports and a very low power setup with decent RAM....