[CentOS-devel] Status of CentOS 5 for the i586?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Jun 3 14:39:59 UTC 2011

On Friday, June 03, 2011 09:31:55 AM Karanbir Singh wrote:
> looks like a case is building to start considering next-steps in getting
> a i586 repo/ in place !

How might such a repo be handled, in terms of development?

Also, there are other 'secondary' architectures that have somewhat languished, including SPARC and IA64.  I have interest, and hardware, for both of those.

While I am going to work towards getting the IA64 build done here privately regardless, and may try to do something SPARC as well (that one is harder), having some more information (which could be out there already for all I know) on bootstrapping an architecture would be useful and make the first, biggest, step a tad easier.  The Fedora project has info for doing this with Fedora; perhaps a base to work from.

And while I further know that the project wouldn't sign packages that I built here, I would still build packages here for my own purposes anyway.

So having somewhat of a really high-level overview of handling of secondary arches would be useful, to more than just me I'm sure.

In any case, having an i586-bootable setup (even though I'll have to respin the ISO to use serial console on the hardware I have) will be a nice thing indeed.