[CentOS-devel] Status of CentOS 5 for the i586?

Cody Jackson supertanker13 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 22:32:46 UTC 2011

On 6/7/11, Yury V. Zaytsev <yury at shurup.com> wrote:

> Might seem inconvenient at first, but there is a whole ideology behind
> it. SRPMs are autonomous building blocks and you should in theory be
> able to rebuild the whole distribution from SRPMs with only minimal
> bootstrapping. So it's how it should be.

Oh, believe me, I see the advantages of the building-block nature of
SRPMs, which is why I want to try to preserve it :)

On 6/7/11, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Cody,
>
> If you really want to play with c6, grab one of the centosplus kernels
> for c6 from here:
>
> http://centos.toracat.org/kernel/centos6/centosplus-testing/SRPMS/
>
> These kernels have familiar kernel config files. :)
>
> Also, you can find a "howto" on the c6 kernel here:
>
> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=4586
>
> The first 3 notes will help you with customization.

Thanks, Akemi; I'll have these bookmarked for the next time I have
access to a better connection. The customisation notes, in particular,
look to be *very* helpful! What I'd like to do is make it in the build
script to where these changes can be applied near automagically and
without messing up the original srpm if I mess with the c6 kernel.

Cheers,
Cody Jackson