[CentOS-devel] CentOS-[56] Continous Release

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Tue Jun 21 13:24:11 UTC 2011

Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>>   We could then obsolte: that centos-release-CR rpm
>> with the centos-release that comes down the road when the isos/ are in
>> place and the new release announced.
> I am not sure I get this part. Since the packages are not changed ( I
> presume the NEVR remains the same when the packages are moved from CR to
> "stable"), how would this "obsolete" process happen ? I am used to the
> fedora / fedora epel "testing" phase which is basically
> - packages are first pushed to a testing repo which is not enabled by
> default on client computers
> - after a) enough people test and validate a package or b) enough time
> has passed since the package was pushed to the testing-repo  the package
> can be moved to the stable repo

Trick is that CentOS will not change NEVR or version number if they
recompile package with diferent build environment. It could look exactly
the same, size and all, but it would act differently.

In Fedora/EPEL way, when you change anything you also change version
number, but it is not so in RHEL rebuilds. version and NEVR *must* stay
the same, even if correction is made. Hence the original problem in
question, how to pass the info about rebuilded packages to yum.

Ljubomir