[CentOS-devel] CentOS-[56] Continous Release

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Jun 21 13:33:48 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, June 21, 2011 09:24:11 AM Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> In Fedora/EPEL way, when you change anything you also change version
> number, but it is not so in RHEL rebuilds. version and NEVR *must* stay
> the same, even if correction is made. Hence the original problem in
> question, how to pass the info about rebuilded packages to yum.

Checksum.  This is used by the yum 3.4.x option 'distro-sync full' to do just exactly that; it does the distro-sync, and also will reinstall packages that have the same NEVR but different checksums.

You can try it out on Fedora, but you'll need yum 3.4 or later installed to do it.  Yum 3.2.28 (F14) and yum 3.2.29 (current EL6, as referenced from a RHEL 6.1 install) have distro-sync, but not the 'full' option.  The 'full' patch might apply cleanly to 3.2.29, but I have not had a chance to try it.

This discussion was up-thread already.....back on June 3rd.