[CentOS-devel] Status of CentOS 5 for the i586?

Les Mikesell

lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 14:47:42 UTC 2011

On 6/3/2011 8:31 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi,
>
> On 06/03/2011 02:11 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
>> Yes, it's useful.  i586, as mentioned already in the thread, is needed for Geode support, as well as VIA C3 support.  I have a number of Chompers and Sharptooth boxes lying around that make good embedded systems, with decent amounts of RAM and disk.  I also have a few C3 systems, and getting CentOS 5 on them would be nice.  Not critical, but nice.  Expecially the Nomadix hotspot gateway box, which has multiple 10/100 ports and a very low power setup with decent RAM....
>
> looks like a case is building to start considering next-steps in getting
> a i586 repo/ in place !

Is there any chance this will happen for 6.x as well?  There is an
attempt to revive what was once the k12ltsp disto (with ltsp4 for
thin-client booting) that was sidetracked into fedora packages based on
ltsp5, then effectively killed by changes in fedora that were propagated
into RHEL6.  At this point the bottom line seems to be that ltsp5 can
mostly be made to work, but since many thin clients are i586 and ltsp5
runs more than just a kernel and X on the client, it will either need a
rebuilt distro that supports i586 or a completely different distribution
in the chroot client space.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com